Thursday 22 March 2012

Smocking

Smocking is one of my favourite fabric manipulations. I tried a variety of different types of smocking and I picked my top favourite three to post on my blog. All of these three are different types of North American Smocking.

 
So this is called the lozenge pattern. I did this swatch to interpret the bricks on a wall. This was one of the simpler smocking patterns I tried.

This pattern is called lattice. I think this was one of the more challenging types of smocking but once you practice it it does get easier.

And this is a different variation of the lattice pattern. For all these pattern i simply just drew a grid of dot on the back of a piece of fabric... each dot being 2 inch apart from all other dots surrounding it. This swatch is created by alternating between slack and slip-knotted and pulled stitches.

-Sinéad

No comments:

Post a Comment