Wednesday 2 November 2011

A day in the casting rooms..

I decided to make a cast of my hand to record the different creases that are formed when your hand moves into different shapes and positions. I did this during one of the 3D workshops that i went to in the college and i found it super fun :)


To start I had to build a cylinder shape structure to 
support the alginate that I was going to make this plaster cast.


Then we mixed the alginate with water to make a liquid which I poured into the cylinder shaped structure that I had already made.

So i sat down, made the shape with my hand that I wanted to freeze in plaster and popped it into the alginate.


It took around 10 minutes for the alginate to dry. At that start it was tough to keep my hand still cause I couldn't touch it off the top on bottom and because it was still a liquid there was nothing to support my hand but as the alginate dried it started to harden around my hand.





Trying to pull my hand out was probably the most difficult part because the more you moved it the more you could effect the final cast.When i did get my hand out I mixed plaster and water and poured it into the cast I made. The plaster took about three hours to fully dry and the the fun began.


I had to slowly peel the alginate away using a cutting knife.. and because the fingers were so delicate I had to take extra care. Surprisingly I managed not to break any of them off :)




THE END RESULT.....
























I was happy with the end result.. but because I bent my fingers when I was putting them in the alginate the plaster didn't reach the tips of my fingers. But I know for next time... plus I wasn't really interested in the detail of the fingers.. although it would have been good to get the full hand.

I was surprised about how much detail this type of casting is able to capture. I done this cast so i could investigate the creases of hands in more detail so i was delighted with the results :)

-Sinéad

No comments:

Post a Comment